Fitting of Functional Appliances
- URA adjust kit (Adams pliers, Round-flat pliers, Mauns cutters)
- Straight handpiece , acrylic cutting bur (preferably tungsten carbide).
- That the appliance is for the patient.
- The design is the one requested.
- The appliance fits the working model
- The appliance has no sharp or rough surfaces, edges etc.
- It fits properly
- The base plate fits closely
- The retention (Adams clasps) fit correctly
- It is not producing any discomfort
If the appliance is a Twin Block - fit each part separately first to check fit and undertake any adjustment before fitting both components
- Ensure that the appliance has not opened the patient too much
- For a MOA (Medium Opening Activator) the opening between the premolars should be about 4-6mm
- For a Twin Block the opening between the premolars should be about 3-5mm
- If it is excessive seek advice from staff on adjustment
On first visit do not get patient to use expansion screw - they have enough to get used to already. Start expansion after the first visit.
- Functional Appliances are worn FULL TIME, removed only for cleaning (except for MOA's which need to be removed for eating)
- Record the patient's overjet in ICP
- Give patient a set of written instructions
- Make next appointment for 4-6 weeks