Fitting Removable Appliances
- URA adjust kit (Adams pliers, Round-flat pliers, Mauns cutters)
- Straight handpiece, acrylic cutting bur (preferably tungsten carbide)
Fit the appliance to the patient and check
- That the appliance is for the patient.
- The design is the one requested.
- The appliance fits the working model.
- The appliance has no sharp or rough surfaces, edges etc.
IF required, adjust the baseplate using the straight handpiece and acrylic bur.
Adjust the active component e.g.Finger spring, Buccal canine spring, Z spring, Labial bow.
Adjust the Adams clasps to ensure good retention.
Instruct patient and parents on appliance removal, insertion and care.
- It fits properly.
- The base plate fits closely.
- The retention (Adams clasps) fit correctly.
- It is not producing any discomfort.
- Appliances are worn FULL TIME, removed only for cleaning.
- Give patient a set of written instructions.
- Make next appointment for 4-6 weeks.